Welcome To Emerald City RC
AMA Charter # 5172
Hi fellow flyers!
It is with sadness that I have to relate this latest news concerning our flying activities.
I apologize for the late update to the website, hoping the our initial investigation and legal actions would re-open the field immediately while more permanent actions were being pursued. I have cancelled the Pattern Contest scheduled for August 9th and 10th.
It is unfortunate, but the activities that included the Scouts, the VA, schools and others will be cancelled, too. Many families and modleres come from Canada, and all over the Pacific NW to enjoy the flying field and the local attractions. It is very sad that this happened during the vacation season!
The Flying field is closed as of today until the Snohomish County Usage Permit process is completed. Mark Hanson, through his legal attorneys, Skockley Planning Group http://shockeyplanning.com/ tried to establish an extension of our flying activities until the county representatives could figure out what, if any, process we need to follow. Since the field has been in continuous operation for better than 26 years, some thought the "Usage Permitting" was unnecessary and we would be "grandfathered" into our usage.
You are welcome to contact Redi Shockey Click here to Email
2716 Colby Ave, Everett, WA 9820
Shockey Planning Group Website
Phone: (425) 258-9308
I have been contacted by AMA Tony Stillman (Flying Site Assistance Coordinator) and offered AMA assistance, too. I spent a while on the phone discussing the permit and other details. He sent some information that will be very helpful. You are welcome to contact him. Click here to email Tony Stillman Phone (800) 435-9262 ext. 230
As of today (Friday, July 18th, the field is CLOSED.
The investigation into the "grandfathering" has returned with a denied verdict. Also, some people provided input stating that other area clubs found and took advantage of special provisions in the Snohomish Zoning Code that allows a permit to be issued for $25.00 per year. This turned out not to be the case! We are continuing gathering facts and details to help the permitting process.
Please contact your government representatives and let them know of your hopes for a
V E R Y R A P I D issuance of any permits that are deemed necessary. If you don't add your voice and other's voices to our issue, we may be in for a long wait for the field to be reopened.
Ron Swift (VP)